Criminal Background Checks
All volunteers 18 years of age or older must register with APRA and provide the association with a current Criminal Background Check which can be uploaded during registration. Depending on your role, you will be required to submit either a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC), or a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC):
- The Association will accept background checks for the current season, provided it has been less than 1 year from the date of issue.
- Background checks or similar attestations from third parties other than local police (e.g. school boards) will not be accepted.
- If you have provided the association with the Background Check within the last 3 years, you do not need to submit a new one for the current year.
- After a period of 3 years, ALL RETURNING VOLUNTEERS will need to complete a new Background Check.
1. NEW Volunteers -
- All NEW Team Staff of 18+ teams, and NEW APRA Board of Directors require a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
- All NEW Team Staff of U19 and younger teams require a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
2. RETURNING Volunteers -
- After 3 years, ALL RETURNING VOLUNTEERS* (regardless of role) are required to submit a new Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)*
- However, if you are a RETURNING VOLUNTEER looking to work with U19 and younger teams,
- You must have volunteered continuously with APRA during that time (i.e. undergone volunteer screening each year). Otherwise, you are instead required to submit a new Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
- If it has been more than 10 years since you provided APRA with a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC), you are instead required to submit a new Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
You will be unable to participate in any Ringette activities until you have 1) registered with APRA, and, 2) provided the association with a current CRJMC or VSC.
(Note: if you have applied for the Criminal Background Check and there is a delay in processing, confirmation must be provided to the APRA Registrar that you have successfully applied in order to participate in Ringette activities. Team Staff that fail to produce a valid Criminal Background Check by November 1st will be removed from the TRF.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR CRJMC/VSC -
1) If you have already provided APRA with a CRJMC/VSC within the last 3 years, this should appear on your registration session with the dates it was received. If not, please contact the APRA Registrar to verify.
2) If you have a current CRJMC/VSC dated less than one year from your registration date, you can upload the document during registration.
3) If you require a new CRJMC/VSC, you can complete the registration process and indicate the date when you applied. Once you receive, email your new document to the APRA Registrar
HOW TO APPLY FOR YOUR CRJMC/VSC-
1) SUBMIT AN INTRODUCTORY LETTER FROM APRA WHEN REQUESTING ONE OF THE BACKGROUND CHECKS (see attached)
A personalized introductory letter from APRA will allow you to obtain the background check as a registered volunteer, and therefore, at a reduced cost ($20). Please download and complete the appropriate letter to submit when applying for your background (include your full legal name):
APRA Letter for Background Check - Volunteers for 18 plus groups
APRA Letter for Background Check - New Volunteer for 18 and younger groups
APRA Letter for Background Check - Returning* Volunteer for 18 and younger groups
*NOTE: for a returning volunteer to be eligible to submit a CRJMC, the volunteer:
- Must have already provided APRA with a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) within the last 10 years, AND,
- Must have volunteered continuously with APRA during that time (i.e. undergone volunteer screening each year).
2) FOR RESIDENTS OF DURHAM REGION:
At this time, Durham Region Police Services are only processing CRCs online at www.drps.ca > online services > online police record checks (mobile users will need to select Go To Full Website at the bottom of the page to access this menu).
- You will begin the online application HERE.
- Online payment is required and all completed record checks will be sent to you via email from evidence.com (be sure to add this to your address book and check your junk folder for incoming messages).
- The average processing time is 10 business days. If you have not received a response after 3 weeks, send an email along with your order # (found on the receipt that was emailed to you) to email@example.com
- Forward your completed CRJMC/VSC to the APRA Registrar for retention by the association.
- Questions? Email - firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-579-1520, extension 4105 or 4104 (automated messages).
3) FOR RESIDENTS OF TORONTO:
To process your background check:
- You will need to process your CRJMC/VSC with Toronto Police Services.
- If required, request a copy of the TPS Vulnerable Sector Screening waiver from the APRA Coaching Coordinator.
- Print off and complete the form on legal size paper. Make sure you list Ajax Pickering Ringette Association under the Agency Name section, and provide original signatures (no photo copies).
- Enclose certified cheque, money order or bank draft for $20. They do not accept credit cards. The easiest thing to do is to go to a Canada Post outlet and purchase a money order (many local Shoppers Drug Mart locations have an outlet).
- Mail to the address listed at the top of the waiver.
- You should receive a response within 2 weeks via mail.
- There is an expedited service for $65 - you would need to go in person to 40 College St. and would receive a response within 72 hours (via mail)
- If there is a birthday or name match on the RCMP database, fingerprints are required for further screening (not uncommon that this may be required). You would then require an introductory letter from the association introducing you as a member that wishes to volunteer with APRA, and take this with you when you go to 40 College Street to process.
More information on the TPS Vulnerable Sector Screening Program, CLICK HERE.